1. Documentation Center
In 1994, the City of Nuremberg decided to establish a Documentation Center in the Congress Hall. The competition for the design was won by Austrian architect Günther Domenig in 1998 with a concept that took a confrontational stance against the National Socialist structure. A corridor of glass and steel pierces the north wing of the Congress Hall diagonally like a spear, in a message of opposition to the stone monumentalism of the original design. The Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds opened on November 4, 2001.
From 2001 to 2020, the heart of the Documentation Center at the Nazi Party Rally Grounds was a permanent exhibition named "Fascination and Terror," which explored the causes and consequences of the Nazi state's criminal exercise of power (1933–1945). The Documentation Center is now being remodeled and the permanent exhibition is closed. During the construction work, a specially conceived interim exhibition in a separate hall provides a compact portrayal of the history of the Party Rallies and the Rally Grounds. The Documentation Center is scheduled to reopen with a new permanent exhibition, along with a media and research center, in late 2023.