On the occasion of the 1906 Bavaria State Exhibition, the MAN company (Vereinigte Maschinenfabriken Augsburg und Nuremberg) built a hall (180 x 49 meters) to display its large machines. This industrial structure of glass and steel had a façade in Art Nouveau style, and was named after Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold (1821–1912). It remained in use as an exhibition and events venue after 1906.
In the hall's interior, too, modern design elements were covered up and decorated with Nazi symbols. The hall had space for 16,000 people.
The City of Nuremberg did not rebuild the hall after 1945.
Between 1933 and 1935, the National Socialists remodeled Luitpold Hall into a convention center to be used exclusively for their Party Rallies. Architect Albert Speer had the hall faced with slabs of shell limestone, in keeping with the style of other Nazi monumental buildings.
The Luitpold Hall was destroyed in an air raid on the night of August 29, 1942.
The Meistersinger Hall was built as a new concert and events venue on the northern perimeter of Luitpold Grove in 1963.