Additional railway lines and stops were needed to carry Party Rally participants to events and accommodations. The Märzfeld Station was planned to play a key role in this effort. It opened in 1938, and mainly served the tent camps and barracks for the participating National Socialist organizations. The station was never finished.
After the war began in 1939, the Märzfeld Station was also used to transport prisoners of war to and from the camp on the Party Rally Grounds. They were interned in extremely cramped conditions, and thousands, especially the Soviet prisoners of war, died of deprivation, hunger and outright murder. Foreign workers and forced laborers were also housed in camps on the grounds. They were compelled to work making war materiel and clearing rubble after air raids.
During World War II, the Nazi regime's antisemitism culminated in the Holocaust: the genocide of European Jews, organized using the principles of mass production. For 2,000 Jews from Franconia, the Märzfeld Station was the point of departure to the extermination camps. The two largest deportation trains, each carrying about 1,000 people, left on November 29, 1941, for the Jungfernhof concentration camp near Riga (Latvia), and on March 24, 1942, for Izbica near Lublin (Poland). 2,373 citizens of Nuremberg are known to have been among those murdered in the National Socialists' persecution of the Jews.
In 1957, the station was renamed Langwasser Station. Passenger service was discontinued in 1988.