After World War II, the gigantic excavation for the planned German Stadium served as a dump for the rubble collected from the destroyed southern part of town. The city had a special narrow-gauge railway installed to carry the debris. Filling mainly began with the southern part of the horseshoe-shaped pit in 1946. The deposits gradually piled up into a hill.
The hill was later landscaped and made into a vista point known today as Silberbuck. The artificial hill is a hazardous waste area: toxic sulfur compounds seep into the adjacent Silbersee (Silver Lake) that fills the northern part of the German Stadium excavation.