Franconian Gallery

The former Art Exhibition Hall at the Marientor.

Georg von Schuh, the City's Lord Mayor in 1905, suggested creating a separate exhibition space for the work of artists from Nuremberg and the rest of Franconia. The idea of a Franconian Gallery had arrived. In 1930, Lord Mayor Hermann Luppe extended his predecessor’s idea to the art collections as well. Works from regional artists in the Municipal Gallery were transferred to the Franconian Gallery. The core of the collection included works from such artists as Johann Adam Klein, Johann Dietrich Carl Kreul, Johann Sperl and the Ritter family of artists from Nuremberg.

The Art Villa in Nuremberg has now established a new museum for regional art that will carry the concept of the Franconian Gallery forward into the future.