Stories from the History of Nuremberg
If there is a single date that stands out like none other for the special role Nuremberg played during its heyday, it must be March 22, 1424. At the bidding of Emperor Sigismund, the Imperial Regalia – the crown jewels of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation – were brought to Nuremberg, to be housed there "eternally." In fact this "eternity" lasted only until 1796, but the centuries of residence of the crown, scepter, orb and many other precious and sacred objects left many traces behind in Nuremberg's colorful history.
Hitler had the Regalia returned to Nuremberg in 1938 to lend luster to his Nazi Party Rallies – surely one reason why the city was so extensively destroyed in 1945. Later, Nuremberg set standards for reconstruction – and just as it had been in the romantic era of the early 19th century, the former Imperial City once again became a magnet for international tourism.
A new department of the City Museum, organized around valuable replicas of the Imperial Regalia, will turn a further brief, entertaining spotlight on Nuremberg's history.
In a media guide, prominent visitors and new citizens of the city from past eras tell exciting tales, bringing a millennium of Nuremberg history – from the Imperial era to reconstruction – vibrantly to life. Visitors who are in a particular hurry can get an impressive sense of the city’s eventful past in just 30 minutes, in any of 9 languages (German, Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Czech).