The Nuremberg City Council was established as an organ of municipal self-government in the fourteenth century. City government lay exclusively in the hands of the patrician families.
After the suppression of the so-called craftsmen's uprising in 1349, the Inner Council became the central political power. The patricians (rich, established merchant families) excluded all other sections of the population from participation and governed without restriction for several centuries.
The Larger Council, which included lesser merchants and craftsmen, was convened only rarely and had very little real power.
In the room "Nuremberg City Council", the council, the offices, and the city hall (which can be seen through the windows) are described in detail.