The Nazi Party Rally Grounds

Display panels in German and English at 23 locations around the site provide information about the area surrounding the Dutzendteich before 1933, about construction and propaganda shows for the Nazi Party Rallies, and about what was done with the site after 1945. A tour of locations 1 through 9 takes about 90 minutes. The map on this page provides an initial overview of the site.

<strong>Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds</strong><br />"Fascination and Terror," the permanent exhibition at the Documentation Center, provides information about the history of National Socialism and the Nazi Party Rallies.<strong>Interior Courtyard of the Congress Hall</strong><br />The uncompleted Congress Hall, designed to seat 50,000 participants at the National Socialist party's congress, is one of the largest buildings still standing from the Nazi era. It bears witness to the failure of the National Socialists' grandiose plans.<strong>Fairground/ Great Avenue</strong><br />The Great Avenue, 60 meters wide and one-and-a-half kilometers long (200 feet by almost a mile) was to be the axis of the site as a central parade route, and still survives today.<strong>German Stadium/ Cornerstone</strong><br />This is where the German Stadium, planned as the world's largest arena of its day with seating for more than 400,000, was to be built for the "National Socialist Games." The cornerstone was laid in 1937. Today part of the excavation for the stadium's found<strong>Great Dutzendteich Lake</strong><br />The lake known as the Dutzendteich had been a popular excursion destination since the 19th century. Part of the lake, which had been installed as long ago as the 14th century, was filled in to build the Congress Hall.<strong>Stadium</strong><br />The Municipal Stadium, completed in 1928, served as a gathering place for the Hitler Youth during the Nazi Party Rallies. It has been remodeled several times since then.<strong>Zeppelinfeld Grandstand (Zeppelintribüne)</strong><br />The Zeppelintribüne, only part of which survives, was built on the model of the ancient Pergamon Altar. The Americans held their victory parade here on April 22, 1945. Then they blew up the swastika. The City of Nuremberg demolished the columned galleries in 1967.<strong>Zeppelin Field</strong><br />This parade ground, almost square, is larger than twelve European football fields. It hosted parades by the Reich Labor Service and the Wehrmacht, as well as elaborately staged events like the "Light Dome."<strong>Restaurant Gutmann</strong><br />Todays Restaurant Gutmann has been a popular excursion destination since the 19th century.<strong>Luitpold Hall</strong><br />The former exhibition hall of 1906, with space for 16,000, was used for the National Socialist party congresses during the Nazi Party Rallies. It was destroyed by bombing in 1942.<strong>Luitpold Grove</strong><br />Gatherings for the Nazi Party Rallies were held here as early as 1927 and 1929. The site was remodeled to form the Luitpold Arena, with grandstands, in 1933 to 1936. It was restored to parkland after 1945.<strong>Memorial Hall</strong><br />From 1929 onward, the National Socialists appropriated the municipal memorial hall that honored the dead from the First World War to make it part of their own cult of death, as celebrated on the "Day of the SA and SS."<strong>Bahnhof Station</strong><br />The former Dutzendteich Station (expanded 1934 – 1936) was one of the many rail stations that served the Nazi Party Rally Grounds.<strong>Back of the Zeppelin Grandstand</strong><br />A hall passes through the interior of the central structure, with a ceiling decorated with gold mosaic. The "Fascination and Terror" exhibition was housed here from 1985 to 2001.<strong>Transformer plant and workers' housing</strong><br />Speer had a separate transformer plant installed to supply power to the Nazi Party Rally Grounds. The construction workers were housed closer to town, on Regensburger Strasse.<strong>"Strength through Joy" City</strong><br />The beer halls of Strength through Joy City, built in 1937, served as a place of entertainment for Rally visitors, and as a venue for events. Today the site is occupied by the training grounds of the 1. FC Nürnberg football club.<strong>Stadionbad Swimming Pool</strong><br />The Stadionbad was part of the vast Sports and People's Park on the Dutzendteich, opened in 1928.<strong>Terminal Point of the Great Avenue</strong><br />The Parade Avenue looks in the direction of the Imperial Castle, which can be seen from here, establishing a symbolic connection between Nuremberg as the site of the Imperial Diets in the Middle Ages and as the "City of Nazi Party Rallies."<strong>Ruins of the Märzfeld foundations</strong><br />The Märzfeld field, planned to accommodate 250,000 spectators for exhibition maneuvers by the Wehrmacht, was never finished. Grandstand towers that had been built were demolished in 1966/67 and the site was built over.<strong>Former Märzfeld Station</strong><br />This station, serving participants at the Nazi Party Rallies, was the departure point in 1941/42 for two deportations that in all took some 2,000 Jewish residents from Franconia.<strong>Silberbuck Hill</strong><br />The southern part of the former German Stadium construction site is covered by a mountain of waste from the ruins of the Old Town, which was almost completely destroyed in the Second World War.<strong>German Stadium Excavation/ Silbersee Lake</strong><br />This is where the German Stadium, the world's largest arena of its day with seating for more than 400,000, was to be built for the "National Socialist Games." The cornerstone was laid in 1937. Today this part of the excavation for the stadium's foundations.<strong>Former SS Barracks</strong><br />The barracks, a training site for the Waffen-SS during the Second World War, serves as an office building today for the Federal Office for Migration.

Photo credit: Bavarian Survey Agency 2011, Nr. 11-0357